 Trains / 24030
Re: spyshot of my next MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:36:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   Your post made go and do some Indian railway research! Indian loco type nomenclature is a bit difficult to remember, its all WDM-1a’s etc (note, I’m not sure if that one really exists!) Is the gap in the red strip of the WAP-5 for lettering, I saw at least one loco with something written there? I’m

SNIPPY

Hiya Tim! Thanks for the compliment! Yes, the gap in the striping is for the loco name. The unit in question comes from a tech-transfer with adtranz, and the first three indigenously built locos are named. I’ve put a ‘Navjagran’ decal on mine (it means new awakening). The other two are Navodit and Navkriti. Actually, you are right about the class names, a bit hard, but easy once you get the hang of it. I don’t have the patience to search the irfca.org FAQ for the full explanation (maybe you can do it if you want) so here’s a quick lesson:

W- broad guage, Y is metre guage, Z and N are for 2 and 2 ft 6” guages. D is for diesel, A is for electric, and CA is AC/DC current electrics. and the last letter is for traffic, M for mixed, P for passenger, S for shunter/switcher and G for goods. the last number is (I think), according to the cronological sequence of locomotive production, but more recently it has been changed to mean the horse power of the loco. To confuse things even further, some locos have been excluded from the new classification.

The WDM-1 is actually the first diesels ever used here (ALCo DL600 ‘world series’) but are now out of service (AFAIK). If you stop by in Delhi, one of those is preserved in the National Rail museum.

   interested to see how you approached the cab front window grills. Don’t get

Funny thing, I left those out. I had tried the grilles for the WDP-4: 1 x 1 levers, but they looked silly, and about 1 x 4 x 2 fabuland fence look, the less said the better ;-) So I didn’t bother with this loco. I’m open to suggestions, of course, and will carry them out if I can/theyre good enough.

   offended when I say that I think Indian loco designers (or specifiers) have got absolutely no design sense! Most of the newer locos are really ugly. This

They don’t. In fact one of the jokes we have on our forum about ‘cab ergonomics’ surrounds this: their idea of keeping the driver awake is to have the cab as uncomfortable as possible. Believe it.

   gives them a charm of their own to railway enthusiasts but I can’t see them seeming modern and high tech to the average passenger. Take the WDP-4 that you made a model of, what is with those side windows! (also how do they manage to see past that huge silencer(?) when

Well, some corrections here. The GT-46 is an AMERICAN built loco (export version of the SD-70), and the ones that have been built here are indigenously made are either from kits or from tech transfers. The funny thing about the windows is, the silencer is exactly the reason for the funny ‘bay’ windows (Which is an add-on by Indians, and does not come from the original design), to allow the driver to look out more easily. But, from what I know, the drivers say the radiator fins are too far away to cause any visibility issues anyway.

   running ‘wrong’ way) Anyway, looking foward to more pics.

Thanks!

   PS does each shed have its own livery for each loco class?

Yeah, something like that, but most of them are changed at whim, and it’s more of the general ‘done’ thing than a rule. Sometimes the original colours from the shop are kept, and sometimes they aren’t. One of my favourite schemes is the one for the first indegenously built WDP-4, named baaz (eagle)

Legoswami Samarth