 Trains / 23986
  Lessons learned in pre-school

On Friday, I brought some trains to my son's pre-school. It was a crazy and hectic event. I thought I would share with you the ideas that worked and the ones that didn't work. First, they loved seeing all the trains, and they were more than happy to (...) (19 years ago, 10-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) I noticed this and now have a doubly modified controller. A switch in one end drops the output voltage over the whole range. A switch in the other end engages a full rectifier on the output. These switches are push-type, glued into the base of (...) (19 years ago, 10-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) I don't know why LEGO don't provide a voltage regulator. We pay a high price for the power unit and you can get a voltage regulator for a few pounds/dollars. At 9V the train goes too fast at full speed on a normal length of track and a normal (...) (19 years ago, 10-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) Yes, that is true, but the box indicates that LEGO isn't aiming the controler at the 4-year old crowd that I was entertaining. Since I often use the 'extra' power, I don't mind that the speed regulator will deliver it. None the less you are (...) (19 years ago, 10-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) Those sound like good ideas. they also sound like ideas that are out of my limited area of expertise. Chris (19 years ago, 10-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) Snip Hi Chris, Thanks for sharing that. I really enjoyed hearing about the trials and tribulations of your day. Lots of "grownups" would have issues with just spending a large amount of time with that many "rug rats" never mind allowing them (...) (19 years ago, 10-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) Chris, Thanks for sharing that story! I was laughing as I read it because my own 3 year old daughter loves to take the motors OFF of my locomotive and run the motor by itself on the track. Much faster forward/reverse combinations are possible (...) (19 years ago, 10-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) It seems kids not only like the high speed of Lego trains, they love to race their trains against each other. Even on a standard dual oval track ((URL) will race each other, although they know the trains are not running equal distances. So we (...) (19 years ago, 21-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) Just to make sure: Are you aware of the phenomenon (URL)? JOHN (19 years ago, 21-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) Yes, we certainly are. But the pre-school kids don't find drag-racing *cool*. Maybe for the bigger kids and adults... The younger kids much prefer train layouts they can go round and round many laps like the Grand Prix. And ones in which they (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Lessons learned in pre-school

(...) Oh I'll have to disagree with that. When we run the Rail Racers at shows and events the kids line up, big and little. Maybe it's the lights, maybe its smell of train tires burning, maybe it's the cool space age trains, maybe its screaming (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)