 Trains / 24085
Re: Lessons learned in pre-school
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:16:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Chio Siong Soh wrote:

   So we have rigged up several equidistant tracks for the kids to properly race their trains.

Just to make sure: Are you aware of the phenomenon Railracers?

Yes, we certainly are. But the pre-school kids don’t find drag-racing *cool*. Maybe for the bigger kids and adults...

The younger kids much prefer train layouts they can go round and round many laps like the Grand Prix. And ones in which they can control their trains to avoid or to cause a collision.

They can have great fun even on a standard layout like this one racing on two concentric ovals:

Yes, the FLL Mission Mars field mat makes a good backdrop. And the kids have added snow since it was Christmas though it never snows here in Singapore. Maybe on Mars?

We run other trains besides Lego as can be seen in this pic:

When the kids have learned how to control the Lego trains they graduate to drive the more expensive ones like this highly detailed locomotive:

So there is incentive for them to learn to be good railroad engineers and not just go round smashing up trains. For what is speed without control? :)

C S