 Trains / 23991
Re: Lessons learned in pre-school
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:52:15 GMT

David Graham wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:

On Friday, I brought some trains to my son's pre-school. It was a crazy
and hectic event. I thought I would share with you the ideas that worked
and the ones that didn't work.

I don't know why LEGO don't provide a voltage regulator. We pay a high price for
the power unit and you can get a voltage regulator for a few pounds/dollars. At
9V the train goes too fast at full speed on a normal length of track and a
normal train. Young children only know full speed.

Yes, that is true, but the box indicates that LEGO isn't aiming the
controler at the 4-year old crowd that I was entertaining. Since I often
use the 'extra' power, I don't mind that the speed regulator will
deliver it. None the less you are right. Adding a low and high power
setting to the wall-wart transformer would help the kids at the lower
end of the age group keep the train on the track. I can't help but
wonder if there is some sort of life lesson learned when the child
realizes that 'full speed' isn't always the best way to get around the
track. Nah... probably not :)

Why do you not have the 4 tracks concentric with thr controllers in the 4
corners, then you would only need to dash around one table rather than around 4.

Ah, one lesson I forgot to mention. Never forget your extension cords.
The position of the electrical outlet dictated the layout of the track.
That put two contolers (tracks) right up against the wall and each
other, which made them hard to get to, and the third track had to go
about 10 feet away.

I get comments on trains such as "that's the one we went on our holidays" when
it's a Metroliner - we don't have them in the UK -  but its good to see their
imagination.

David

Chris