 Trains / 23951
    Transformer Power —Steve Hassenplug
   Can anyone tell me how much current a standard train controller puts out? I want to run several standard 9v gear motors from a train controller. But, I'm not sure how many I can run, before bad things start to happen. Thanks Steve (19 years ago, 4-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Transformer Power —John Barnes
     (...) The chip in the controller is officially rated at 1.3A, but it has a rather small heatsink and automatic thermal shut down, so it seems to go to about 1A continuous. You can push it, but it'll warm up and shut down on you, then you have to (...) (19 years ago, 4-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Transformer Power —John Neal
     (...) OR.... You can soop it up. OR you can have someone soop it up for you:-) That is just what I did. Jeff Titchenal of the (URL) Southern Pacific LEGO Train Club> (I hope this is okay to plug your stuff, Jeff!) sells modified 3 amp transformers (...) (19 years ago, 4-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Transformer Power —Mark Bellis
     (...) Are you using the standard transformer with the controller? If so, the rating is 7VA, which will probably give about half an amp at 9V after losses. With a more powerful transformer you could get a bit more out of the controller as others have (...) (19 years ago, 5-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Transformer Power —Jan-Albert van Ree
   (...) "BAD" things won't happen, the circuit is kiddy-proof :) (the regulator IC will shut down when getting too warm) If you're a good D-I-Y person with electronics/soldering experience my mod might be for you. Requirements - Screwdriver to open up (...) (19 years ago, 5-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Transformer Power —John Barnes
   (...) Check the Linear Tech LT1083/4/5 series. They are pin compatible with the part that is already in the controller. LUCNY uses some of my modified controllers. You need to change; The bridge rectifer diodes to handle the chosen maximum current (...) (19 years ago, 5-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Transformer Power —Steve Hassenplug
     (...) I'll have to look into that. I'm really not running the motors anywhere near their limit. The biggest single load is this train: (URL) at 1/2 speed, when the car is full of soccer balls. And, that's running off an RCX. Thanks for the info (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

        Modified Transformers Question (Re was: Transformer Power) —Jeramy Spurgeon
   (...) John, We had the luxury of using your controllers at the NMRA show (Thanks a ton!), and I am interested in modifiying my own. I think I've got enough information to swap the internal components, but negelected to look at the wallwart (power (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Modified Transformers Question (Re was: Transformer Power) —Jan-Albert van Ree
     (...) The LM317 will need to "eat" more power if you supply a higher voltage and will thus kick in the thermal protection much sooner. I'd stay as close to the voltage the LEGO wallwart outputs as possible. (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Modified Transformers Question (Re was: Transformer Power) —John Barnes
   (...) I believe the Lego transformers are 12v a/c output. I used 12v a/c output 3.3A transformers from Digikey, part number T605. You will have to add your own connector. They are quite expensive, but they don't heat up as much as the cheap ones do. (...) (19 years ago, 18-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)