 Trains / 23170
Re: 8 wide help needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:10:18 GMT

Adam Murtha wrote:

Ladies and gents, I am hoping to build some 8 wide trains, but I'm curious as to
what the best method for 8 wides in terms of the base.  Do you use a regular 6
wide train base or make your own 8 wide train base or ???

Adam,

I have tried using the 6-wide train baseplates, but I wasn't happy with
the outcome

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/trains/rolling_stock/flat_bed_wtrailer_34.htm

Either the base had to be too thick, or the 6-wide train baseplate
connection wasn't strong enough.

Typically, I use regular plates to create a train base and a technic
plate (2x8's are the best, but I use what ever I have around, which is
2x4's mostly) for a place to attack the trucks(bogies).

The bottom layer of plates contains the technic plate, and I usually do
2xn's along the sides with 4xn's in the middle.

|o o|o o o o|o o|
|o o|o o o o|o o|
|o o|o o o o|o o|
|o o|o o o o|o o|
|o o|o o o o|o o|
|o o|o o o o|o o|
|o o|o o o o|o o|
|o o|o o o o|o o|

On top of that I do two 4xn's

|o o o o|o o o o|
|o o o o|o o o o|
|o o o o|o o o o|
|o o o o|o o o o|
|o o o o|o o o o|
|o o o o|o o o o|
|o o o o|o o o o|
|o o o o|o o o o|

Things I don't tend to do (in no particular order)

use a lot of 6x8's
   three stud overlap isn't enough for me

use the 2x2 plate with technic pin on top
   there is a little rim around the base of the pin similar to the rim
around the middle of a technic pin. I thought the pin made my trains to
tippy. Nothing ever tipped over, but my double stacks wobbled a lot.

use two technic plates to attach the trucks
   The connection would be more secure, but the pin on LEGO's bogie
plates is too thin to comfortable fit through two technic plates

put the smaller plates on top. Like a  1xn-6xn-1xn layer on top of a
2xn-4xn-2xn layer

  n n n n n n n n
  n n n n n n n n

   Whenever you push on the push on the bottom, it pops up into the train.

use the same solution for every car :)

Also, since I am building my own bases I try to model the frames of my
engines with more detail than a 6-wide train base would allow. Note that
the bases are are the same level.

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/trains/engines/engine_gallery.htm

Chris