 Trains / 23143
Re: 8 wide help needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 00:32:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Adam Murtha wrote:
Ladies and gents, I am hoping to build some 8 wide trains, but I'm curious as to
what the best method for 8 wides in terms of the base.  Do you use a regular 6
wide train base or make your own 8 wide train base or ???

I custom build my baseplates using regular plate, 3 layers thick with 2x4
technic plates built in to accept the bogie pin.  I place the technic plate
length wise on one layer and sideways on the other.

I find the 6x train bases too resticting and too thick once you add on the
sides.  A base of three plates looks much better than the 4 thick required for
the modified 6x. IMHO.

I've only built the one 8 wide but I used the same technique for my 7 wide.  My
first MOC was a 6 wide train which I did use a 6x base but found it too
limiting.

Mike