 Trains / 23142
Re: 8 wide help needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 21:08:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Adam Murtha wrote:
Ladies and gents, I am hoping to build some 8 wide trains, but I'm curious as to
what the best method for 8 wides in terms of the base.  Do you use a regular 6
wide train base or make your own 8 wide train base or ???

For short trucks with four wheels I use a standard 6x24 baseplate with 2xn
plates along the edges (see brakevans from the link below) and make the single
pairs of wheels rotate a bit with small belts to pull them back to straight.
This is because the wheelbase is too long for the sharp curves.  I have
successfully modified the tanker kit to give it four wheels instead of bogies.

For bogie wagons, engines and coaches I make up a base.  I don't use standard
bases or bogie plates because a bogie plate cannot turn far enough within a
standard base on a long wheelbase vehicle.  I usually use the 2x2 tile with
connector peg on top instead of a bogie plate.

Most of the time I use 6xn plates in the middle (any colour can be used as it
won't be visible), with 1xn alongside and 2xn above and below to fix it
together.  Some of the bases are up to 70 studs long.  For locos I put a 1x4
hole in the base 2 studs in from each end, for the wire that connects the two
motor bogies together.  This then uses more 2xn plates around the hole for
strength.  I usually attach buffers with technic 2x2 plates with round hole
underneath, or for small wagons a 1x2+1xs4 plate bracket, jumper plates and
7-hole 4mm wide liftarm.

Sometimes I have used 4x8, 6x8 and 8x8 plates for the base, with a 2x8 technic
plate where the bogie is attached.  This method requires internal fixing plates
as well as the walls of the vehicle to give it strength.

The bases are unique to each application.  Have a look at these:
particularly diesels and wagons.

Mark