 Trains / 23140
  8 wide help needed

Ladies and gents, I am hoping to build some 8 wide trains, but I'm curious as to what the best method for 8 wides in terms of the base. Do you use a regular 6 wide train base or make your own 8 wide train base or ??? (20 years ago, 4-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 8 wide help needed

(...) Hello Adam , There are a few ways ,it can be done! If you are building no longer than 28 studs. Then use a 6 wide train base and put 2 wide plates on the edges of it. That would be the easiest way. I have used a 6 wide train base in my 8 wide (...) (20 years ago, 4-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 8 wide help needed

(...) For short trucks with four wheels I use a standard 6x24 baseplate with 2xn plates along the edges (see brakevans from the link below) and make the single pairs of wheels rotate a bit with small belts to pull them back to straight. This is (...) (20 years ago, 4-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 8 wide help needed

(...) I custom build my baseplates using regular plate, 3 layers thick with 2x4 technic plates built in to accept the bogie pin. I place the technic plate length wise on one layer and sideways on the other. I find the 6x train bases too resticting (...) (20 years ago, 5-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 8 wide help needed

(...) Yes;-) It really depends upon what you want to build. I have employed all three ideas: (URL) Here> is an example of using a 6 wide train baseplate (you can just see a hint of the gray baseplate). (URL) Here> I used basically just 6x8 plates. (...) (20 years ago, 6-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 8 wide help needed

(...) Adam, I have tried using the 6-wide train baseplates, but I wasn't happy with the outcome (URL) the base had to be too thick, or the 6-wide train baseplate connection wasn't strong enough. Typically, I use regular plates to create a train base (...) (20 years ago, 8-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)