 Trains / 23033
Re: The SPLTC Recreates the Old West
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:58:45 GMT

Tim,

Thanks for the comments!  When we decided to build a layout for this theme, it
did mean that a lot of new building would have to be done.  Changing the terrain
to tan baseplates in most areas meant not using green roadplates since they
wouldn't have fit in.

We also wanted multiple loops, so that meant building multiple steam engines
reminiscent of the old west.  And a new fleet of rolling stock had to be built
as well.

As far as vehicles, we couldn't use our abundant supply of vehicles, since
everything had to be based on horse power (I think someone tried counting all
the horses on the layout, and we had over 150 if I recall correctly.

Overall, it was a fun project for us to undertake and display.  The crowds at
the National Show enjoyed it a lot.  And we were fortunate to have some from
folks from the LEGO community visit it in person and were amazed as well.  We've
got some modifications planned for future displays of this layout, so stay tuned
for our next public display announcement.

Ray
SPLTC

----------------------
.In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
I had been looking foward to these pics and they didn't disapoint. Its nice to
see some new (to the net) train MOCs and there are some great wagons there.
Espcially like the barrel tanks
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=786653 and
Also interesting to see Ben's van design
The horse drawn fire engine is cool too
The tunnel mouth us good, I like the shallowish slope of the hillside

Actually its all good, a very well rounded display and I could just add a link
to every picture! Its also one that funnily enough, as a British person I can
relate to more than a modern US diesel layout!

Tim