 Trains / 22803
  Re: BBB Wheels

(...) I like the steamers. The connecting rods will be a challenge. You could do with BBB blanks for the middle driving wheels. Having done quite a few British trains (pics at (URL) ), I'm branching out into American trains now, and plan to build a (...) (20 years ago, 18-Apr-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB Wheels

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote: <snip> (...) The tool to make BBB wheels without flanges is in the works right now. The toolmaker I use is busy and it will be about three months before I have unflanged wheels for sale. On that note, is there a (...) (20 years ago, 20-Apr-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB Wheels

(...) This is the prototypical term, at least in US practice, as far as I know. (...) Never heard of any of these used in US practice (...) Yes, real locomotives. I don't know of any non locomotive applications where this was necessary. I googled (...) (20 years ago, 20-Apr-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB Wheels

I made my own flangeless wheels: (URL) made a small lathe with a Technic axle, bricks and a 9v motor. Using a razor blade I turned the flanges off. Took about 10 minutes per wheel. Robert (20 years ago, 20-Apr-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB Wheels

I googled for Luttermoller as an articulation method I knew used blind drivers and got this page (URL) up a website level gave this page, (URL) which should give lots of inspiration Tim (20 years ago, 20-Apr-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB Wheels

(...) Yes, the first locomotives for the Hollandsche IJzeren Spoorweg Maatschappij (Dutch Iron Railway Company) were 2-2-2 (1A1 in European notation). The drivers had no flanges. Source: De Breedspoor lokomotieven van de H.IJ.S.M. (The wide gauge (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB Wheels

(...) The British standard class 9F 2-10-0 (250 built) had no flanges on the 3rd set of driving wheels and thin flanges on the 2nd and 4th sets. Two or three of these locos survive. They are widely seen as one of the best heavy freight locos in (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB Wheels

(...) The normal one I have heard (& read) about them being called is blind drivers. Certanly more than just the 9F Starship had blind drivers- at least one british 0-4-4 had a blind trailing axle too...figure that one out. CPR 2-8-0's that were (...) (20 years ago, 25-Apr-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB Wheels

(...) Thank you Tim! I have added this reference, and the one Rosco found: (URL) to the header of the group. (20 years ago, 25-Apr-04, to lugnet.trains)