 Trains / 2126
  motorized switching rails

Hello all. Can someone please point me to a page or two that has examples of how to motorize a switching rail. The end I want to achieve is to sit with a controller or two or three to open and close the rails. (Using a pure Lego method of course.) (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

There are a couple here: (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

I recall someone talking about removing the friction from a switch rail. Do you know how to open up the rail without damaging it? Eric (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

I think that person very carefully popped the plastic ivets using an exacto knife, I cannot remember the URL, sorry. I am too chicken (scared) to try it myself. Christopher (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

Ouch! Nick - please consider using a non-intrusive method of performing remote motorized switch control. I was close to performing the operation on a set of switches myself, when I decided to sleep on it. It bothers me to this day that I came so (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

I don't think I want to risk damaging a $15 Lego piece either. I would love to see your example. Having it along with the others presented/suggested so far should give me a head start. Thanks to everyone who has passed their idea along. -Nick Ed (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

The motorized switches I made are very similar to the ones at (URL) fact I refer to them on my site. (URL) must add that the motorized points are somewhat unsatisfying. You must pay careful attention to the point and turn of the motor at the (...) (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

GMLTC has pneumo switch throws. They worked in the lab but haven't yet been proven at a show. The air lines are (gasp) non LEGO aquarium tubing... If you go to one of the many GMLTC teasers (there must be 4, including mine, the semiofficial standing (...) (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

(...) And in all these years of discussion about switch powering and modifications nobody ever noticed this before? I'm amazed... (I don't own any 9V trains myself, just 4.5V. Those switches are easy to control, apart from the difficulty of making a (...) (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

(...) No, you could use numbers, if you had number bricks or number tiles (the tile supply is limited so I think you're restricted to base 4 (0,1,2, and 3) numbering. The 1x1 number bricks are rare nowadays. -- Larry Pieniazek larryp@novera.com (...) (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

(...) Well, you could use those DACTA letter & number tiles. Those are actually DUPLO I think. (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

(...) Hmm... use little ones by the switch/turnouts and big ones on the back fascia? Those big ones would be visible from a long way off, that's a good thing. (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

Frank Filz wrote in message <37DFEB31.63DE@minds...ng.com>... (...) Lego had white 1x1 bricks in the 60s with blue printed numbers (0-9). I think there was also a pack with letters. The number pack is 237 - I believe a pack was just sold on eBay. I (...) (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

(...) You could do it by posting semi-unique pieces next to the switch, and matching pieces on the fascia. The layout might look a bit odd with minifig heads and what-not stuck all over the track... Steve (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

I would love to see instructions or pictures of this device. I suppose I could tinker around with the idea on my own as well. John Matthews Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:37DFA77D.E5BD4E...ger.net... (...) (25 years ago, 16-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: motorized switching rails

Nick, et al: I've posted an "alpha" version of my web page devoted to my motorized switch design. Pardon the construction dust, but you'll get an idea of where I'm going with this design. Please refer to: (URL) don't want any comments yet, because I (...) (25 years ago, 17-Sep-99, to lugnet.trains)