 Trains / 2134
Re: motorized switching rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:26:58 GMT

The motorized switches I made are very similar to the ones at

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/train_depot/pmotor.htm

in fact I refer to them on my site.

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego

I must add that the motorized points are somewhat unsatisfying. You must pay
careful attention to the point and turn of the motor at the appropriate time or
the LEGO housing that holds the gears pops open. Also the parts for the points
are exspensive. Someone suggested using pneumatically activated switches. From
the description it sounded like those switches worked well. Three pushes on the
LEGO air pump and the point would switch. Unfortunately, I forgot who posted
this information, and I do not think that the points are featured on a web site
anywhere. I do think I will use pneumatic points on the next set, and if I like
them I'll switch.

Christopher

Nick Goetz wrote:

Hello all. Can someone please point me to a page or two that has examples of
how to motorize a switching rail. The end I want to achieve is to sit with a
controller or two or three to open and close the rails. (Using a pure Lego
method of course.) Thanks.

-Nick