 Trains / 2106
Re: And a new hopper car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 14:46:38 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Steven Barile wrote:

Larry shield: Is this a gondola not a hopper???
SteveB

It's probably a gon. I think the defining characteristic of a hopper is
that it has bottom doors. However there is some muddyness... In
particular, you often will hear unit train cars called hoppers, but they
have no bottom doors/chutes, they instead have "bathtub" (rounded)
bottoms. The cars are emptied by turning them upside down (really!!! A
giant machine with track mounted inside of it can turn 3-4 gondolas
upside down at one time WITHOUT uncoupling them, which removes the coal.

The most definitive thing I see as characterizing a gondola v.s. a
hopper is that hoppers are tall and gondolas are short. Gondolas with
bottom doors/chutes are usually refered to as drop bottom gondolas.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com