 Trains / 21032
Re: BR50 now done as ML-CAD drawing and rendered.... + first time use of radiosity!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:46:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:

Hi again!

Sorry for posting in reply for an own posting of mine. Less then 4 month after my first steps into the world of virtual LEGO® bricks, I have now done the next step and tried to get into the (at least for me) completely new topic of radiosity under POV-ray. Therefor I have created a somewhat bigger scenery around my favorite model, the BR50 steam engine.

That ended in a bridge that has been heaviely influenced by a design of John and Ross Neal and in a sururrounding landscape. Those can be found here for download.

In a first step I tried to enhance the oicture by some simple editing. In the following picture I tried to imitate a oldfashioned and yellowish old photograph.

That done my first trials in radiosity always ended in by far too bright results with grey becoming white and black to light grey.

After some experimental playing with ligh settings, and especially after Jeroen de Han and Willy Tschager gave me some more worthful tips, I was able to improve the result to a picture like this one (the smoke has been drawn later into the picture as well as the sunset clouds - the sun itself is a 4x4 radar dish with a light behind).:

Jeroen tought me about shadowless, parallel light and some further advanced light settings. It has been his great poster page page in any way, that gave me the first advice about the use of radiosity. Thanks Jeroen, you are a star! Without your influence probably none of any of my CAD-Models would have ever been drawn.

I hope you all enjoy my pictures: any feedback is welcome!

Leg Godt!

my Homepage:

   Hi all!

the amount of positive feedback on my first CAD-models encouraged me to do a further model in ML-CAD now. It took nearly 7 hours to draw the existing model of my 7-wide BR50. Especially the flexible hose generator took me some time, before I realized how exactely it works. And of course the amount of snotted and under different from 90° built bricks. But now there are first renderings online at brickshelf. Hope you enjoy them:

The model done in chrome bricks would look like this: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=410800 (This is inspired by the cast models of Maerklin and other model railroad manufacturers)

The building file can be downloaded here if anybody is interested: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=410736

Kind Regards,

Ben