 Trains / 20733
Re: A brief reflexion on power sources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:43:10 GMT

<SNIP>
So i see it like this :
1) a 5 pole rotor motor for smooth operation at low speed
2) higher R.P.M for the motor and gear it down (as in the old time) for higher torque.
3) a 8 pole connector where the following 4 wires are connected: Left wheel
contact,left motor contact, right motor contact, right wheel contact. By
bridging the first two and last two you make the connection as the actual
motors. Remove the bridge and place a DCC decoder on it. see:
I used following connectors (AMP)
and connected the upper pin with the lower pin, so creating a double contact for
reliability.
4) place the DCC decoder inside the locomotive body (not the motorblock) so that
you have easy acces to the extra outputs for locomotive front & rear light,horn,
wagon licht, ...
5) heavier motorblock for better grip on the track.

Neat work!
I am just not comfortable with making my own modifications: I fear the motor
will cease to work once I start soldering things to it... it's a bit irrational,
LEGO being very sturdy and all that. I should take a workshop in train modelling
to gain confidence in this.
Out of curiosity, what do you consider the traction power gain is after these
alterations are put to use?

DCC allows you a smooth speedcontrol, especially on low speed, but you need a
good motor (if possible 5 pole rotor).
If you have a higher motorspeed, with you gear down (more than the actual motors
- at 9V they go out the curves !) then you have more power on the wheels, so you
can pull more cars.
A heavier motor is also needed for better grip on the track, with should be
easier for the motor to pull more cars (longer trains with the standard Lego
cars [16 / 24 / 28 studs long] or longer passenger cars [some of mine are 51
studs by 6 wide]
Note that some model locomotives have a piece of steel added to obtain a higer
weight, with is good for the grip on the track, and so a better traction - model
train cars are verry light in weight compared with our Lego train cars (look at
the Santa Fe cars).So a strong motor is no luxury for Lego trains.

Ludo

Pedro