 Trains / 20721
Re: A brief reflexion on power sources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:15:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
"Pedro Silva" wrote:

Plus, under this line of thinking, the introduction of DCC by LEGO would become
a much natural step for the consumer - "I now have too many trains to control,
so now I must get myself a new control-system"... ;-)

What would be really nice is if Lego built train motors that
accepted the plug-in style DCC decoders.  The motors would
ship with a dummy plug that merely routed power from the track
to the motor and headlight connector.  When you want to
upgrade to DCC, all you do is remove the plug and drop in the
decoder of your choice.

So, if I understand you correctly, the "new" motor would consist of two parts:
-Part A, motor and headlight connector (already attached to wheels?)
-Interchangable parts B and C, one being that dummy plug you mention (default in
every purchased motor?) and the other being the decoder (*).

That sounds nice. It even would allow for a "part D", where instead of a dummy
plug we'd have a connector to a batterybox. Come to think of it... the only mod
to the current outside design would be something like "cutting out" a part of
the box (two plates thick, 2x4 in surface?) and have that portion transformed in
brick A, B or C.

This of course raises the possibility of other customizable options, one of
which being triple-wheeled motors (again), another one being "non-engine" motors
to perform acessory actions, DCC controlled (a maintenance crane, perhaps?)...

Very clever idea, indeed.

Pedro

(*) - I take it that LEGO would not accept a non-LEGO decoder?