 Trains / 20730
Re: A brief reflexion on power sources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:41:30 GMT

Some thoughts from someone who has a little experience:

Decoders:  Should be built into the motor, non removable.  Cost for commercial
decoders is ~19 usd for a "series 3" decoder with 1/2 function outputs.  That is
retail.  Should be able to make them for under $5 when made for a commercial
company...which puts them into the range of not breaking the bank (assuming that
the train motor costs ~$10-15 right now to make).

There is little noticable difference when operating a decoder equipped engine on
9V dc, except that it won't fly off the curves.  (and that shouldn't disapoint
too many people :).

I'd rather see lego go with DCC protocol rather than developing its own.  DCC is
not hard to make (from an electronic standpoint), is mature, and has a world
wide backing.  This would also allow lego to produce the bare minimum of
equipment that is modified (I'm thinking of 4 things- points that are easier to
throw, the train motor, and a accessory decoder that is in a ~1x4x6 brick or
so...even perhaps a 2x6 brick and a slightly modified RCX 1.0 with more
hardkeys, and a single output rather than 3).

Use the RCX 1.0 design as the basis for the power unit, that gives a cost figure
of ~120 for the base station, and away we go.

Unfortunately, we have been whining about this for years, and nothing has yet
happened.

James Powell

PS: with regards to 6 wheels in a train motor- it is possible, I am mocking one
up right now...I'm going to have to get some brass to make a pair of my own
wheels rather than using the lego ones though, since drilling a hole in the
current ones tends to produce a offset hole that then means the wheel runs a
little excentric...this will be with 6 wheels & side rods...wait and see how I
do it (but it is NOT pure, let me tell you!- it does prove that it is practical
though...)