 Trains / 20708
20707  |  20709
Subject:
Track Geometry for Yards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:29:11 GMT

I've been musing on track geometry....

Consider these assumptions.  I assume these are fairly well known.
Or at least, I didn't discover them myself; I found them either on
LUGNET or some website.

A1. Two points with a diagonal straight in between can be used to
    create a crossover (replace two curves with one straight), and the
    tracks will still be "in sync".

A2. A right, 12 straights, and a left will be close enough to keep the
    tracks "in sync".  (Ditto for left, 12 straights, and right)

(Here, "in sync" means that straight tracks at the begin and end of
the maneuver will be displaced by a multiple of 16 studs in both X
and Y directions.)

Now, based on those two assumptions, I have worked out the following
theories about track geometry:

T1. A curve can be replaced with a straight and a point (or vice-
    versa).  This is how A1 works: "Official" track geometry says to
    always follow a point with a curve, bringing the branch line
    parallel with the main line.  If instead of that curve, you put a
    straight and another point, you end up with a crossover.  If it
    works in that context it should work anywhere.

T2. A right point, 14 straights, and another right point facing the
    other way makes a valid crossover between two widely spaced
    parallel tracks.  Why?  Replace the curves in A2 with a straight
    and a point as described in T1.  (Or use left points if you
    prefer.)

T3. A right point, 13 straights, and a left curve works the same way.

However, I lack the track to test.  I don't even own a single point.
(Does that make me pointless?)  I've just been playing with Track
Designer, and this all works there.  Anyone with the physical track in
hand care to test my ideas?

Here's a yard layout I worked out that I worked out using these
principles.  It's available in both GIF and TDL (Track Designer
Layout) formats.  PLMKWYT.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wrw/Trains/Track-Layout-Ideas/yard.gif
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wrw/Trains/Track-Layout-Ideas/yard.tdl

BTW, I'm picturing several Engine Sheds at the ends of the group of
horizontal tracks on the right side, and rolling stock on the diagonal
sidings.  The outermost tracks are the main lines, with a minimum of
switches to cross, while inner parallel tracks are for switching
purposes.  The intent is for this to be a useable yard, where HOG
would be needed only for throwing the switches and separating cars.
I'm a novice at this, so I'd be interested to know if people think it
would work or not.

--Bill.

           PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMER, CLOSED COURSE.  DO NOT ATTEMPT.