 Trains / 20655
Re: Roller Doors into a Baggage Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:32:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Alastair Disley wrote:
James Mathis wrote:
Here is a potential method of inserting
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=50075 roller doors into a
baggage car>.

For some time I have wanted to get the town garage roller doors into a baggage
car.  I do realize that the proposed configuration linked to below would not
roll up all the way, but I think it is the closest I've come so far in realizing
an OK method of positioning the roller doors near to the outer wall of the
baggage car.

It's a great idea, but needs refining.  I've tried building it, and
there are a few problems.

Excellent!  Thanks for taking the time to investigate this construction, finding
and reporting its real-brick faults, and tackling some corrective design
approaches.

The channels created by the 2x1 panels have
too much freedom - the door can slide left and right in a 10 wide, but
the garage door won't fit in 9 wide - 9.5 seems optimum!

Oooh, 1/2-brick length change.  Maybe going for two side-by-side roll up doors
would return the overall length to an integer value?

They also sag
a bit because the channels are too wide.  The offset supports for the
wheels could be larger to give a better back to the channel - or just
not offset until the wheels.  The beam over the centre works OK, but you
need two plates of clearance over it, and even then the whole door
assembly is very prone to sticking.  In theory, if it didn't stick, it
could rise to about two thirds of its height before hitting the opposite
door.  In practice I'm afraid it never got near that...

Wow!  Too much CAD time for me.

Nice try though!  I can't think of a way of improving the groove - I
tried 1x4 bricks with horizontal grooves in, but even at 9.5 spacing the
door stuck (too much play in the width).  At 9 it won't move.  Although
the original garage grooved bricks might be too set back for you,
without a 14 long top on, if you guide the door in the right direction
when it's going up, it will slide back into the groove of its own accord
when going down, albeit a bit bumpily, and assuming that the handle is
still in the groove.

Great ideas.

Time for bed!

Well documented, Alastair.  Perhaps your dreams will realize a great solution.

I think this garage door style will look good once we find a good construction.

later,

James Mathis