 Trains / 20389
  Re: Redesigned Intermodal Car

(...) J-2, Really nice! Questions: How does it make handle around curves and through switches? How tall is it with 2 containers stacked (is it less than 16 studs high?) Hope to see it irl when my work schedule allows me to make it to club :) -- Bill (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jun-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Redesigned Intermodal Car

(...) Thanks, Bill! Ahh. I forgot to list the lowlites;-) Due to the nice, low profile, the sides scrape the power leads. I need to shave them (the leads, that is) down in order for it to clear. Due to the semi-shrouded truck design (which is (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jun-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Redesigned Intermodal Car

(...) Have you tried not using the power leads at all? I haven't tried it, but it would seem that if you cut a 'normal' 9volt wire, split the end and strip a short section of wire -- you could pry up the metal part of a rail enough to slip the wire (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jun-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Redesigned Intermodal Car

(...) Gasp! Without consulting Conan first??? (the electrical guy). Hey, keep me posted as to what you find-- it sounds like a good idea. I will be having my leads in some mountain, so nobody would see the, err, mutilation anyway:-) (...) That why I (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jun-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Redesigned Intermodal Car

(...) What about soldering the leads to the rail? That way they wouldn't come off. The heat would be the only concern, though I don't think it would damage it alot. Just an idea. -Stefan- (21 years ago, 17-Jun-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Redesigned Intermodal Car

(...) And a not too bad one, Stefan..... I have tried that last year on my (URL) renewed turntable> (and yes, there are some further modifications done to the track next to the turntable - in 12V it worked fine without these, because one could (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jun-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Redesigned Intermodal Car

I (...) I use mostly mutilated pieces of track with a wire soldered onto them for my power connectors. Otherwise, it gets expensive feeding every 40 pieces or so. James P (21 years ago, 18-Jun-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Redesigned Intermodal Car

(...) Not using power leads works great. I came up with a couple solutions last year, including one that uses a Bic pen clip, is super cheap, and is very low profile. Also, you don't have to damage your track (!). (URL) More info at: (URL) Rick (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jun-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)