 Trains / 20115
Re: Monorail fleet - to dispel a vicious rumour ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 12:17:01 GMT

"Terry Prosper" <t@rotule.qc.ca> wrote in message
Hello

I've tried your joint-ball technique to connect a 4-cars monorail train. • It
looked to work just fine, but suddenly, the last or front car would come • out
of a turn, flip and bring with it the whole train.  Disaster!  13 Minifigs
died.  Each time I tried.

The ball joint is almost perfect, but unlike the monorail joint, it allows
rotation.  The monorail joint allows only up-down and left-right movement.
When my train come of a turn, either the last or front car would react in
the wrong way to the pressure.  Did this ever happen to you in your • testing?
Do you have a solution?

This has never happened to me so I haven't needed a solution.  The only
issue I know of is the inability to push through (automatically) the
monorail points.  It seems that the ball and socket connection fails
(sometimes) before the switch is thrown.

My first attempt failed because I had not sacrificed a stud in the female
socket.  I did so, then it worked fine until the rotation caused it to • fall
aside.  After reading the whole thread, I realized that the female socket
1-stud-sacrifice is a universal situation, so I'm glad I came out with the
same solution as every one else.  The only solution I can up up for my
rotation problem involves rubber-bands between cars to prevent them to
rotate, but before I try this, I prefer to see if I missed something.

Terry

It is kind of blurry, but here is a picture of my connection:

The socket is always on the end of the chassis that contains the wheels and
the ball on the end that has the traditional monorail connection.  This set
up has run for many, many hours at various train shows without failure.  We
have had crashes but never due to the ball and socket!  Between my six car
monorail and Cary Clark's four car monorail I'd suspect we have in excess of
100 hours of actually running time with the ball and socket connection.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com