 Trains / 20108
Re: Monorail fleet - to dispel a vicious rumour ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 18:16:24 GMT

Hello

I've tried your joint-ball technique to connect a 4-cars monorail train.  It
looked to work just fine, but suddenly, the last or front car would come out
of a turn, flip and bring with it the whole train.  Disaster!  13 Minifigs
died.  Each time I tried.

The ball joint is almost perfect, but unlike the monorail joint, it allows
rotation.  The monorail joint allows only up-down and left-right movement.
When my train come of a turn, either the last or front car would react in
the wrong way to the pressure.  Did this ever happen to you in your testing?
Do you have a solution?

My first attempt failed because I had not sacrificed a stud in the female
socket.  I did so, then it worked fine until the rotation caused it to fall
aside.  After reading the whole thread, I realized that the female socket
1-stud-sacrifice is a universal situation, so I'm glad I came out with the
same solution as every one else.  The only solution I can up up for my
rotation problem involves rubber-bands between cars to prevent them to
rotate, but before I try this, I prefer to see if I missed something.

Terry