 Trains / 20007
Re: RCX Train Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 15:20:43 GMT

Esger Abbink wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:

I was languishing at home today with a cold, and I got to thinking about
running trains with an RCX.  I've been dreaming of having one or two
trains automated to pull into a station, wait, pull out again, etc.  But
all this hinges on having the RCX know when the train is in the station.

<snip>

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure if you want to keep it a "100% lego" solution, but if not I
think a reedcontact for magnetic detection might be simpler (and a lot
smaller!). I dont know how well that would tie in with an RCX though. I have
no experience with the things.

Yeah, I am after an all-Lego solution; not just for purity reasons, but
I'd be too worried about frying the RCX with my less-than-impressive
electornics skills.

Besides, given that my whole layout seems to be elevated 18 bricks high,
it's more the width of the package that matters.

I'm thinking of experimenting with one *beside* the track.  My guess is
that since the  coupling magnets can't rotate on a vertical axis, it'll
sense a single uncoupled car, even with the reset-magnet.

And if you really want to make things interesting, have the trains run on
the same track ;) (without collisions of course..)

Actually, I'm looking to see if I can't do this with my Control Lab.
Potentially four train sensors and four points sensors in one package,
and enough outputs to run 8 separate track sections.  Wire it all into a
laptop and use TrackDesigner to create the images for my user interface
:)

I've had trouble with high loads and Control Lab outputs, though - I
think it's got some sor tof overload limiter than cuts in if you draw
too much current. :P

Jeff E