 Trains / 19458
Re: Plasticity MOCs: mountain, heaven, and more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:56:58 GMT

In lugnet.town, Rick Clark writes:
In lugnet.town, Andreas Stabno writes:
I've been adding some MOCs to my city over the last couple of years and
decided to take a few pictures before Minizilla took down the house.

<snip really great pics of really great MOCs!!>

Train Control Tower
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/astabno/Plasticity3/dcp_2624.jpg

Wow! This is impressive! Six train controllers and eighteen (coun't 'em!)
polarity switches! Golly!

I'd love to get some more details on what's going on here. Are there six
separate loops, or have you used insulated connections to create six control
blocks? If the latter, how does that work out? Are you able to run multiple
trains at different speeds and directions?

Can you provide a track layout plan (with electrical blocks indicated, if
appropriate)?

Also, are all those polarity switches for remote turnouts? Or do they control
other stuff as well?

Thanks!

Rick Clark

You're giving me some great ideas, Rick, but really my setup was quite
simple.  As you can see at

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/astabno/Plasticity2/Icons/plasticitylayout.jpg

there were three separate train loops, each with one controller.  Another
controller served the switching yard.  The fifth one provided power to 6
motorized points, and the last one was sitting idle.  All but 6 of the
polarity switches were also idle.  My original plan was to motorize the
monorail points and reversing tracks.

The train control tower was built to fit on a small stand.  A better
approach would avoid setting the controllers at right angles by building a
wider structure.

HTH,

Andreas