 Trains / 18952
Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 19:40:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
Nice Alco, the generic is a bit um... generic :)

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have even announced this MOCery of the USA diesel.
You and others have spent years fine-tuning and perfecting the look of the
USA diesels.  I'm playing catch-up and obviously not matching your specific
and mutual group detail level.  Thanks for taking the generic as just as it >is.

Hi James,

I guess I'm a little late responding since you've already posted a newer MOC
(your HST) but I didn't want to miss a chance to say I think both of these
locos are great.  I think you have tons of great details in both.  A subtle
point that may be missed without tearing into your MPD files (as I often do
with your MOCs!) is that you've even included working forward and *rear*
lights on both locomotives.  I suspect this is partially why you decided to
do the non-cab parts of the body on the USA diesel in 5-wide instead of the
4-wide I've more commonly seen for a 6-wide modern USA diesel MOC.  I
haven't noticed a lot of other folks doing that (which may just be my fault
for not looking in the right places) and I think it's pretty clever.

I wonder though if the combination of the 5-wide body&nose and the all-blue
paint is why the pictures of the USA diesel MOC might not at first glance
evoke the prototypes that inspired it.  Even with the POV-ray images
recognition of that common thin-body&nose/wide-cab shape of many modern
diesels didn't jump out at me at first glance (but this could all just be
me).  I have a feeling a real-build version would get the effect across
quicker because in moving 3D the discontinuity between the width of the cab
and the rest of the body would be more obvious (I've tried to approximate
this by setting it spinning with LDView).  Without your eye picking up that
6-wide/5-wide discontinuity I think the MOC might look more F40 than GP-40
(I'm not an expert on the prototypes but I think this is the right analogy).
Keep in mind, none of this is criticism, I wouldn't change a thing on the
MOC, I'm just pointing this out as an example of where something is lost in
pictures as opposed to live and in person.

Finally, I know I'm not one of the experts in this forum but in my opinion
you have no need to down-play your ability to make brilliant USA diesel
MOCs.  Besides for these beauties, I think the BNSF GE B43-8W in warbonnet
livery you made last year (link below) is one of the best USA diesel MOCs
I've seen.  You captured the key details of that prototype and at the same
time scaled it to look great with mini-figs and other LEGO train equipment.
On top of that you included interior details and removable roof sections,
and even an engine.  Forgive me but I wasn't around when you first posted
this one so I have to gush over it now.  I would love to have a real-build
of this MOC and as soon as I can find the time to go through the inventory,
I may just have to get my butt shopping on Bricklink and get that done.
Unless of course LD turns it into another installment of their MOC line
first.  (Hmmm.... What do you think Jake?  Great design, great playability,
TLC already has some kind of license with BNSF...)

Regards,
Paul D.