 Trains / 18920
Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:05:49 GMT

In article <H8EMvn.Lsr@lugnet.com>, "James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu>
wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
In article <H8B6BH.7Lo@lugnet.com>, "James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu>
wrote:

Alco c420 virtual model:
And, the gallery with .mpd file, once moderated:

The other virtual model is a very generic locomotive in a USA style.  This
is more a general design study than a true attempt to realize any specific
branded loc.
And, the gallery with .mpd file, once moderated:

Nice Alco, the generic is a bit um... generic :)

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have even announced this MOCery of the USA diesel.
You and others have spent years fine-tuning and perfecting the look of the
USA diesels.  I'm playing catch-up and obviously not matching your specific
and mutual group detail level.  Thanks for taking the generic as just as it
is.

It looks good, I was just being silly.

I like the steps up
to the engine. I never thought of using those 1x2 with channels as steps
(has someone else announced an MOC with those steps in it recently?)

I'm not sure.  I think I need to redo the truck-mounted steps on the Alco
unit, for another look at the real-life model shows that the steps are much
more straight-up, as in a ladder, rather than each step being successively
further recessed.

Funny thing is that my SD-40s steps are straight up, and they should be
successively recessed.

It
reminds me that I have to continue to evaluate my designs. On the
negative side, I must admit that I find the partial hand railings a bit
distracting.

Me, too, but I don't know how to bend pneumatic tubing in MLCad, and I
haven't settled on an attachment method for a railing, either.  No doubt in
my mind that I must defer to others' for better original designs for hand
rails.

Me neither, I use overlapping light sabers to simulate tubing. I haven't
tried to doing real bends though.

I am a POV-Ray newbe, how do you make the background do that fade thing?
And where do you put your light sources?

Background fade thing is merely a consequence of increasing the elevation
angle from which the camera looks down onto the model.  The light source is
just the default location that POV-Ray sets up for the scene to just fit
within the boundary of the rendered area.  For these POV-Ray images, I let
L3P define the best camera distance from the model so that the model just
fits within the rendered area.  It's all very automatic.

Hmm, when I l3p* a file without any options specified I do not get
anything that looks like your models. My backgrounds come out black, and
my camera is placed way too close to the model with a field of view that
makes for a distorted image. To make my models look reasonable I have to
manually back off the camera, specify a background color (white), and
narrow down the field of view (to zoom in on the model). Maybe Mac l3p
or Mac POV-Ray does something differently. Could you e-mail me a POV-Ray
file so I could see where your lights and cameras are?

later,
James Mathis

*We Mac users finally have l3p! Whoo hoo.