 Trains / 18871
  Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

Took a cross-country Amtrak trip from Albuquerque to New York City this past Christmas. Road to Chicago on the Southwest Chief and then to NYC on the Lakeshore Limited. Saw a few locs to inspire some virtual construction. The first is a go at the (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

(...) <snip> Great choice of colors, and an ALCO is to drool over. They belch smoke and growl like a beast! Don't know if it makes any difference to you, but the long hood end is the front on these units (makes for a more dramatic appearance leading (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

(...) Thanks for the clarification and description of this beast. I haven't found any additional pictures, yet, of this exact Alco c420 style. I am wondering if the "hidden" side and front (lone end, as you describe) are different in any ways to my (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

(...) Do you have a source for that assertion? It's been my observation with low noses that they tend to operate short hood first when on lead. It would be a rare road that operated a low nose long hood first as general practice, unless they got it (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

(...) Never mind... the 420's a high nose, I got confused with the low nose generic. Both are great models though! (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

(...) Nice Alco, the generic is a bit um... generic :) There are lots of things I like. Quite simply, green is always nice. I like the steps up to the engine. I never thought of using those 1x2 with channels as steps (has someone else announced an (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

(...) Yeah, I probably shouldn't have even announced this MOCery of the USA diesel. You and others have spent years fine-tuning and perfecting the look of the USA diesels. I'm playing catch-up and obviously not matching your specific and mutual (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

(...) It looks good, I was just being silly. (...) Funny thing is that my SD-40s steps are straight up, and they should be successively recessed. (...) Me neither, I use overlapping light sabers to simulate tubing. I haven't tried to doing real (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

(...) The latest version of MLCad has a flexible hose generator built in, though I haven't tried it, and there's a rumour it's not totally intuitive... ROSCO (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Alco c420 2010 Diesel Locomotive and a Generic

(...) Hi James, I guess I'm a little late responding since you've already posted a newer MOC (your HST) but I didn't want to miss a chance to say I think both of these locos are great. I think you have tons of great details in both. A subtle point (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)