 Trains / 18222
Re: Track geometry in real life - need resources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:31:28 GMT

Full size plans are rather hard to come by.  Best idea is to visit stations
that are like what you intend on modeling.

:-(
That is the tough part... all the (few) train stations near my home have a
relatively simple design. Which in itself is probably good, but not for my
present study.

The last set I bought (OS 25"/mile maps) cost me ~$120 CDN (50 UKP).  For a
relatively simple station, the maps were expensive (they are reprints, of
respectively, a 1865 and a 1905 map of Long Marton, on the S&C Railway)

If you have ever seen a photo of the aproaches to newcastle (UK), the diamonds
are all on 2 curves,and each frog in them is unique as regards angles.

http://davekane.tripod.com/centralstation.html
(finally dug up a photo...)

I do understand that "true" track has a lot more flexibility than LEGO track
- although I did not take part in the recent poll about new possible
geometries, I did follow results with interest! :-)

I think that most of us here want a more flexable lego track system...

Right now what is causing me the biggest headache is the way to make
*ramps*, to build overhead crossings. Regretably, none of the solutions that
looks good on paper is achievable with LEGO :-(

As in track crossings?  A good but expensive way that is somewhat prototypical
is 1x12x3 arches & mounds of black bricks...red ones would be great, along with
1/2 stud inset walls to simulate brick filled arches.  (Then build buildings
into the arches...).  The big problem is distance required.  For a 13 brick
height, you need at least 20 lenghts of straight track, or 39 lenghts of curve.

I have worked up to 50+ brick height with lego pure solutions (except for in
the hole in the wall...), but it is somewhat extravagant in bricks. A rather
cheaper way is technic bridges (or it was, when the giant robot set was
availabe for $20 CDN).  Other options consist of pillars of 2x4 bricks

James Powell