 Trains / 18219
Re: Track geometry in real life - need resources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 00:18:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
In lugnet.trains, Pedro Silva writes:
Hi all,

Can someone please indicate me a good on-line resource where I can find
track diagrams from REAL stations, depots, junctions and such?
I am interested in knowing how designers have overcome awkward limitations
to the possible geometries.

Full size plans are rather hard to come by.  Best idea is to visit stations
that are like what you intend on modeling.

:-(
That is the tough part... all the (few) train stations near my home have a
relatively simple design. Which in itself is probably good, but not for my
present study.

Full size track is far more flexable than lego.  You can have everything up to
interlaced crossing/turnouts...not common, but possible.  If you have ever seen
a photo of the aproaches to newcastle (UK), the diamonds are all on 2 curves,
and each frog in them is unique as regards angles.

The best book I have on the whole subject is "An Aproach to Building 4mm
Finescale Track", Iain Rice, Wild Swan Press, ISBN 1 874103 00 3

Other resources for _bullhead_ track include C& L Finescale, and the S4
digests.  The info is not exclusive to bullhead, but that is what most of the
info is aimed at.

I do understand that "true" track has a lot more flexibility than LEGO track
- although I did not take part in the recent poll about new possible
geometries, I did follow results with interest! :-)

Thank you for these references. Next time I go to the library, I'll look 'em up.

As far as planning, I think that using Track Designer for getting an idea of
how to do it in lego is good.

I do use it :-)

If you are thinking of handlaying lego gauge
track, I would again suggest taking a look at the above book, since it goes
into some depth in how S4 and EM ended up with the standards they did.
(basically, the flange and back to back determine the point geometry that will
work).  You could also base any hand laid track on the lego standards for
flangeways and angles (usually, shallower angles will work fine- however, you
can run into problems with the gap in the rail in the frog if it is too
shallow...)

Right now what is causing me the biggest headache is the way to make
*ramps*, to build overhead crossings. Regretably, none of the solutions that
looks good on paper is achievable with LEGO :-(

Again, thank you for the references!

Pedro