 Trains / 18096
Re: My "Legends" building spree
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:47:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jason J. Railton writes:
I've never really liked the My Own Train cars.  They're far too American for
my tastes

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:
That's really weird! A lot of US proto modelers find them rather more
european than they care for. Must be they're actually somewhere in the
middle, in the zone where they don't look 100% right to either camp.

Larry - we said the same about the engines when they came out.  I think TLC
have aimed for the middle-ground and missed!  Let's face it, no-one's going
to own up to having these engines in their country.  They're pretty good
sets, nevertheless.

I think the green carriage, caboose and engines could just about pass
themselves off as early American (though maybe only in cowboy movies rather
than any genuine period of history) or early European.  For Europe, the
carriage seems to have the style you'd expect of a railway in some mountain
region.  The stoves in the caboose and carriage are typical of long
_duration_ journeys, rather than the quicker mainline services that most
people would be familiar with.  Hauling up some Swiss mountain pass maybe,
rather than trying to break a record for London to Derby.

Just to prolong the issue for no good reason (apart from perhaps stopping
newbies asking the same question again ;-) my Dad reckons that the MOT train
set/bundle from Shop@Home looks like the sort of thing you get chugging
around Africa.  So, there's a whole continent we missed.

Jason J Railton