 Trains / 18099
Re: My "Legends" building spree
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:25:50 GMT

Jason J Railton wrote:
Just to prolong the issue for no good reason (apart from perhaps stopping
newbies asking the same question again ;-) my Dad reckons that the MOT train
set/bundle from Shop@Home looks like the sort of thing you get chugging
around Africa.  So, there's a whole continent we missed.

Yea, they do bear some resemblance to a Beyer-Garrat, but if we look for
weird things they might look like, they actually look most like a Shay,
Heisler, or Climax (or a few other less well known geared locomotives).
Of course without the cylinders of such, the resemblance is only in
passing.

They don't look too much like a Beyer-Garrat because Beyer-Garrats are
actually a three part articulated engine. The front and back parts carry
water and fuel tanks, and sit on sets of drivers (which look pretty much
like a more normal steam engine). The center part carries the cab and
boiler, and is suspended between the front and rear sections. I also
have yet to see one which had a separate tender (whereas the Shay and
Climax do come in versions which have three trucks, with the third truck
being a tender).

The real problem is that with the current set of 9v parts, it is
impossible to build anything which bears more than passing resemblance
to a steam engine.

Frank