 Trains / 16629
Re: Motorized Switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 01:53:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Brown writes:
Hmm.  Is motor damage likely to occur?  The intention with this would be for
either an operator or an RCX to briefly pulse the motor in the appropriate
direction; power is being applied for less than a second, which is enough to
flip the switch.  If power is maintained, the motor axle stops rotating, and
I understand that doing that will cause the motor some grief, but I'm not
familiar enough with the technical side of things to know if the 1/2 second
pulse will cause wear-and-tear on the motor.

I've always been hard on my motors, stalling them often. It's never seem to
affect their performance, or even damage them.

The difficult part of stalling a geared motor is containing the large forces
generated on the structure surrounding the gear train. It's very difficult
to stall one without a super-strong construction. Your more likely to break
apart your model, or your gears, first.

Yep, and with this one using an 8-tooth gear straight on the rack, even with
a solid structure you'd be very likely to break the gear. If you can supply
an accurately timed "pulse", that would reduce the risk, but with the geared
motors, it takes very little time to pull your structure apart. A safer way
would be provide some give through a clutch mechanism or even a clutch gear
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/60c01, but that would probably increase the
size of your switch.

ROSCO