 Trains / 16627
Re: Motorized Switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 22:43:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Brown writes:
For NALUG's upcoming show in September, I volunteered to design a motorized
switch, and here is the result:

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I realize .trains is a little slow right now, but I'm still a little
surprised that this sank without even making a ripple in the surface.  I
know at least a couple people have gone to look at it, with 300+ views on
the folder...

I was hoping to get some constructive feedback from other people who have
made, or tried to make, motorized switches.  Or are people exercising the
"if you can't say anything nice" option?  I'm of the "'it's crap' is still
more useful than no comment" school of thought.

feedback still appreciated...

It's not that, it's just this has been gone over several times before, and
I'm afraid it will take a major revolution to get a new design noticed.

Ok, I guess I see that, although I could only find a couple designs, and
they seemed much more complicated that necessary.

Your's is a neat and simple design, and a new way of gripping the slider.
But, it's not a very safe approach to the motor drive.  There's nothing to
protect the motor from being driven too far one way or the other so it's
liable to burn out or damage the slider over repeated use - particularly by
an untrained operator.  It seems to me redundant to install a point motor
that you have to stand over when you operate it.

Hmm.  Is motor damage likely to occur?  The intention with this would be for
either an operator or an RCX to briefly pulse the motor in the appropriate
direction; power is being applied for less than a second, which is enough to
flip the switch.  If power is maintained, the motor axle stops rotating, and
I understand that doing that will cause the motor some grief, but I'm not
familiar enough with the technical side of things to know if the 1/2 second
pulse will cause wear-and-tear on the motor.

x-posting to .technic, as I'm more likely to find someone over there
familiar with motors and their stress limits.

Nice simple approach though.

thanks,

James