 Trains / 16331
Re: The philosophy of manual uncoupling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 02:41:31 GMT

Jonathan Reynolds wrote:

Automatic (remote) uncoupling can be effected by a trackside mechanism or an
on-loco mechanism. There have been one or two AFOL-created designs for the
trackside mechanism however I've never seen an 'on-loco' system used in Lego.

Jonathan,
I tried this system a few years ago (1999-2000).  I don't know if I
ever posted pics but I tried two systems.  One used a moter to push a
1x16 brick out the back of the engine.  I used gear racks to move the
plunger.   I also tried this using the pneumatic system, but if I
remember the distance of the movement in a straight magnetic system
wasn't great enough to keep the cars separated.  Neither system got to
the remote control stage.

I had abandoned the ideas because I was trying to fit it into an 6wide
SW-syle switcher.  Maybe in 8wide though ;)

-c