 Trains / 16340
Re: The philosophy of manual uncoupling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 21:05:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Tracey writes:
Jonathan Reynolds wrote:

Automatic (remote) uncoupling can be effected by a trackside mechanism or an
on-loco mechanism. There have been one or two AFOL-created designs for the
trackside mechanism however I've never seen an 'on-loco' system used in Lego.

Jonathan,
I tried this system a few years ago (1999-2000).  I don't know if I
ever posted pics but I tried two systems.  One used a moter to push a
1x16 brick out the back of the engine.  I used gear racks to move the
plunger.   I also tried this using the pneumatic system, but if I
remember the distance of the movement in a straight magnetic system
wasn't great enough to keep the cars separated.  Neither system got to
the remote control stage.

I had abandoned the ideas because I was trying to fit it into an 6wide
SW-syle switcher.  Maybe in 8wide though ;)

-c

Encouraging words, Christopher.

Did it actually work (magnets are quite strong!)? How did you provide power?

8w would of course make it easier to conceal within the loco body but I
still think the only real benefit would be with remote or automatic control.
Alternatively, if anyone has built a working Lego electromagnet all our
prayers are answered.....

Jon