 Trains / 16148
Re: Repairing 12v train motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:41:19 GMT

Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Laurent Gerard writes:
Hello Jan-Albert,
I have also 3 engines 12V that are OUT, I also have noticed simmillar
problem as you have about the gear on axle that is being damaged by the
friction. This is the weakest link in the power transmission chain.

As to replace the gear, I am also in the expectation of a possible
solution, isn't it possible to also make new ones on the CNC lathe ?

I think that would overstep easily the worth of the whole 7865 motor...

Not for me at least...
If anybody knows exact specs of the gear and could find a way to replace
them I'd happily run a few dozen... all I need to pay for is used material
and a few free weekends, which is a good deal IMHO :) (BTW I noticed later
motors use some kind of zinc cast for the gears, I'd make them in a weak
bronze so they'd last longer)

Maybe you are lucky and the motor has been used for long time in only 1
direction? If so, it might have wear on only one side of the gearwheels
teeth'.

In my case it is totally shot, there's a gap in the entire gears, exactly
the diameter of the worm driving it. Like somebody let the motor run while
holding the wheels still.
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://artsen.vanree.net
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions    | http://www.vanree.net