 Trains / 16143
Re: Repairing 12v train motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Laurent Gerard writes:
Hello Jan-Albert,
I have also 3 engines 12V that are OUT, I also have noticed simmillar problem
as you have about the gear on axle that is being damaged by the friction.
This is the weakest link in the power transmission chain.

As to replace the gear, I am also in the expectation of a possible solution,
isn't it possible to also make new ones on the CNC lathe ?

I think that would overstep easily the worth of the whole 7865 motor...

Maybe you are lucky and the motor has been used for long time in only 1
direction? If so, it might have wear on only one side of the gearwheels teeth'.

At least I do own some motors that drive fast into one direction and very slow
in the other. Cleaning and refreshing (with not too cheap!) oil will also help
in any way.

My other concern with the 12 v engines is the rubber band or tires on the
wheel, even with good engines, no tires means no movement and I have no
much left for replacement, have anybody found out an alternative or has LEGO
though of reproducing some of these?

Take a look into the train-FAQ here at lugnet. There is a tip with bicycles
tube (exact measures to be found in the FAQ). I have tested it and it is
perfectly working!

Kind Regards,

Ben

P.s.:
The tip came from Pascal Breard from France. He has founded the FrLTC some time
ago. And he has been at the FGLTC show in Muelheim/Germany last sunday and
displayed his tubes and some of his 12V stuff:
(the tube is in the box with "Hutchinson"-Logo in the foreground)

BTW: Pascal is the guy with the complete white T-shirt in this famous photo: