 Trains / 16076
Re: Train-on-a-train Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 21:20:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.trains, Shaun Sullivan writes:

http://www.nelug.org/greenberg0402/P4070044.JPG

I can see why... :-)
Shaun, this is one of the neatest ideas I've ever seen portrayed in LEGO.
Well done!

Thanks!

You got me curios, now: what kind of spring-loaded tensioner would you use,
and how would you place it?

Right now, the vertical axles that the gears are on are located in the technic
holes in a standard train baseplate.  For some reason, this seems to add a
great deal of tension to the axles.  In fact, I noticed (prior to putting a
top technic-hole plate on) as I was assembling it that the chains were pulling
the axles in towards the center *a lot*, much more so than just due to the
weight of the chains.  The chain loop actually seemed slightly too short for
the distance between the technic holes.

Instead, I'm envisioning using a simple shock absorber, situated horizontally.
One end is fixed, while the other end is attached to an assembly containing the
vertical axle and the gears.  Then, I'd pictured using a simple sliding track
to keep all motion in the horizontal direction (similar to the 1x2
plates-with-door-rails sleeving into a 1x4 brick with the channel in the side).

If all of the tension is in the long length, which the mini-train is attached
to, then I'll have plenty of room to work with, since the drive chain only
takes up half of the space (from the centerline, where the gear motor
underneath is located, to one end).  If the drive chain also contributes to
this pulling, I'll need to get creative, I suppose :P

Thanks again,
-s