 Trains / 15519
    Re: Super Chief Weight Issues —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) I would agree there. You get BENEFIT from having the motor on a heavy vehicle because it reduces slippage. A few random observations. Manfried is right, 3 motors will often give worse performance than 2. And 4 can be correspondingly even (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.michlug)

        Current Limitations (WAS Re: Super Chief Weight Issues) —Ahui Herrera
     <snip> Thanks for all the input from everyone. I was not aware of the current limitation. What if I connect 2 train leads from 2 different train controllers power by 2 toy transformers to a single track loop. Would this help the current limitation? (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Current Limitations (WAS Re: Super Chief Weight Issues) —Kevin Salm
     (...) As the previous messages indicate, you do not need more current or more motors. You need to put your motors under heavier locomotives. Lar is right, the Metroliner engine is too lightweight. If you have some Lego weight bricks, try placing (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Current Limitations (WAS Re: Super Chief Weight Issues) —Ahui Herrera
     Kevin, I understood the problem I now have but my electrical current limit question was "ANOTHER" question that I had that I came up with as I read about the issues involved of running 3+ motors on the same track with only 1 train controller. Since (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Current Limitations (WAS Re: Super Chief Weight Issues) —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) OK... The received wisdom is this: If you stick to using pure LEGO sourced components (their wall wart, their speed reg, etc.) you can well put multiple controllers onto the same electrical track circuit. And indeed, if you do that on a very (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Super Chief Weight Issues —Ross Crawford
   (...) Indeed. My N class with 2 motorised bogies & the engine motor inside runs no better (grade-wise) than with 1 motorised bogie, and actually causes a single controller to cut out (I assume a heat switch) after an hour or 2 constant running. Also (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Super Chief Weight Issues —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) Really??? I had never heard of a controller cutting out (it does have a heat triggered overload sensor) with just one or two motors loading it REGARDLESS of length of continuous running. Wow. I wonder why. What is your frequency in Oz? 50hz or (...) (22 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)