 Trains / 15425
Re: Santa Fe distribution pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:22:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:
In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward writes:
Based on the way Brad Justus described the situation, I doubt that
there will be any pattern in the end.  He said they grabbed the first
five off the production line because that was the only way to be sure
they got the first five.  So I'm thinking that the rest of them are
all jumbled up together...

Well, the grouping that occured up until now is very obvious. It seems
unlikely to me that this would have happenend when the sets where "all
jumbled up together". It seems also highly unlikely that a "jumbled up"
pattern is going to emerge suddendly from this moment on.
Since the number is not printed on the outside, I believe that Brad Justus
had to grab the first fife sets from the production line, just because there
is now way of telling for sure what numbers are inside the sealed box
afterwards. Maybe set A2002 fell down during storage/transportation and
wasn't put back at the same place, but outside its own number group instead.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

Good sleuthing! I would say that taking batches of a few hundred and
directing them one way, then the other, is a fair bit of jumbling. But not
as much jumbling as putting all 10000 on a waxed floor and swirling them
around before repacking, I guess. :-)

I'm confused about the process though, sorting the boxes?? There presumably
was a linear counter somewhere printing the tiles. Why not mix those tiles
up before loading the cassettes. 10000 tiles would not be hard to jumble at
all, it's a fairly small volume (I haven't carried out the calculation, but
less than a 55 gallon drum worth??)