 Trains / 15036
Re: Check this one out and tell me if someone else has done it
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:37:04 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix writes:
Sorry I didn't post this in other groups, but I thought you all would get • a
kick out of what I came up with last month.  Somebody would have made one
sooner or later.  I can't be the first.  But here it is...A "Legway":

http://www.cei.net/~rhendrix/images/Legway.jpg

Cute. Can you get it any more delicate?

Sorry, Lar.  Not catching your meaning (or pun) here.   We could probably
come up with more than one way to build it, but this was one of those, "Hey,
this would be hilarious to build!" type things just thrown together in about
2-3 minutes.

Sorry for the poor picture quality.

While your surfing, be sure to check out my train lift bridge on the
Midsouth LTC website:

http://www.msltc.org/februarymeeting.htm

VERY nice bridge. Nice and beefy, doubletracked!... so how do you get the
bridge to align? Stops for bottom travel? Does it use two motors or just
one, shaft connected?

It uses two motors not connected together (one in each tower).  I tested all
of my 16 technic motors and came up with the two that most closely had the
same rpm.  As for the alignment at the bottom, I used 45 deg. 2 x 2 slope
bricks at each corner on the base and inverted ones one each corner of the
lifting part.  That made the bridge seat in the same place every time.

My favorite aspects of the bridge are some key areas in the structure.  See
if you can find the following items in the pictures of the bridge:

The support arms for the towers use 1x1 modified plates w/ vertical clip.
These connect on each end to 1x2 modified plates w/ handle on the columns.

The support arms on the lifting part of the bridge are actually only set in
between two studs and sandwiched in between two 3x6 modified plates w/o
corners (on the bottom of the bridge and not the top).  There is a little
"notch" in the 3x6 modified plates w/o corners that the end of a 1xn plate
will fit perfectly.

Overall, the whole bridge structure is NOT made out of Technic.  The only
visible Technic is what the non-Lego string is attached to so the bridge can
be lifted.  There is more Technic in the top of the bridge towers (motors,
gears, etc.) but can't be easily seen from the outside.

I had a hard time finding the 9 volt power connectors for the track.  This
bridge uses four of them.  Two connectors on each stationary track on one
end of the bridge are connected to a connector with is installed on the
lifting part of the bridge.  I did this because the stationary tracks and
the lifting tracks aren
t snapped together, of course.  I would like to see if any of you out there
in trainland could spare to sell (or donate) any of your unused 9 volt
connectors for the cause...Cause I will be building another bridge or two to
complement this one!

Hope you enjoy and hope you underestood my vague descriptions!

-Rob