 Trains / 14443
Re: My First Train MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:47:36 GMT

It doesn't looks like anything real (to me), but it's very cute.  I think
it's a great fantasy switcher.  The only thing I don't like about it is the
white down near the running gear.  Black or dark grey seems more
appropriate, though I'm guessing that these were the parts available
considering that it is only from those two sets.

Thanks. I built it not to match any particular prototype, but I think it has the
flavor of this little 25-ton GE switcher (though I must say I found the picture
after building the loco):

http://www.locomotives.net/x.html

I need some additional parts to add detail and character to it, but it is a
start.

I will definitely swap out the white for black, dark gray, or maybe I was
thinking safety yellow stripes? I'll experiment and see what looks best.

My 3-1/2-year-old daughter collaborated, and I think it came out pretty good.
(The helmet for the engineer was her idea, and the way she drives the train, I
thought it was a good one!)

Yeah, I was going to say something about the choice of drivers... but that's
a perfectly good explanation!

Actually, it was a compromise. She has a variety of female minifigs that
represent her (princess, female pirate captain, etc.) and I promised her a
female engineer minifig, I just didn't have time to put one together before
leaving for work.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up another Railway Express set or two on
clearance at Target, just for parts. I'd like to build some larger road
switcher-type locomotives at some point.

I haven's seen anything drop below 30% off yet.  Perhaps they won't this year.

I hope they do. I didn't think too much of the set the way it was intended, but
for the right price it would be a decent parts pack.

Thanks for the comments.

Henry