 Trains / 14175
14174  |  14176
Subject:
Connecting 12V Transformer to Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 05:35:31 GMT

Over the past few years, I have acquired a reasonable collection of 12V
train parts including a transformer, several motors, and quite a bit of
track.  Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to see any 12V trains
up close.  As a result, I have never seen the wiring between the transformer
and the track.  I have wired and successfully run my 12V setup using the
wires, etc. that I have, but something seems to be missing.  My transformer
came with a wire that plugs nicely into the transformer, but doesn't mate
with any of the track I own.  The other end of this wire has a connector
with two conducting pins and a plastic guide pin in the middle.  This is
what I believe to be the standard 12V connector used for lights, etc.  How
should this be connected to the track?  I currently use a second LEGO wire
to link the first wire to the track.  The second wire I use has two separate
connectors on each end for a total of four connectors.  Because each
conductor goes to a separate connector, it allows me to plug into the center
conductor of the track anywhere there are holes.  I'm sure this isn't the
ideal arrangement, but it was the best I could do with the pieces I have.

I have looked at much of the literature for the 12V trains and there appears
to be a special piece of center conductor track that I need.  Is this
correct?  If so, can anyone point me to a web site with detailed photos of
how this connection should be made?

I realize the descriptions above are somewhat hard to follow.  I can post
some photos to explain my current arrangement if anyone is interested.

Any advice would be appreciated.

- John Eric

--

John Eric Voltin