 Trains / 1300
Re: More train ranting (sorry)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 22:56:39 GMT

I have never known LEGO to ever use anything other than their own internal
ideas for what might sell.  Set design and process has always been done in
Demark (But as some of you know that has changed with the restructure of
Futura...)  One of the guys that I knew who used to work on sets talked about
trying desperately to get LEGO to use some of the dinosaur mania that occurred
around the Jurassic parks movies to do a type of tie-in.  There was zero
interest.  To be perfectly honest with you, I'm quite surprised that they would
do a tie-in with Star Wars.  It just hasn't been their style.

Think about how long people have wanted to buy bricks in bulk.  Regardless of
the answer that LEGO officially gives, they just don't want to.  They'll spin
it nicer than that of course, but frankly they just aren't interested.  We used
to be able to order bricks by the color shape and size of box in the model
shop, so I don't buy the logistics don't exist story.  It's not a logistics
problem, it's a management decision.

I think it's fun to talk about what we'd like to see, but to be honest, I think
it's mostly dreams.  Although it is probably more possible now that LEGO is
having a more difficult time making sales goals.  Maybe now they'll listen more
to the fan base they have instead of being so arrogant about what they want to
produce....

john 3

just two cents, I'm 5+ years removed from being a LEGO employee now, so who
knows, maybe I'm way off base about how they run the company now.

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
The service pack thread has my undies in a bunch.  Why?  Because it is
as if we are asking for *so* much, when in reality it is *so* little.
We are asking (practically begging) TLG to create a product from which
they will make *a lot* of money.  What possible reason could there be
for not creating a train window and door pack tomorrow?  I'm serious.
It *can't* be because they fear they will lose money!  IT WOULD BE THEIR
BIGGEST SELLER!  It's inconceivable.

Also, I have a question.  When was the last time a unique train element
was created?  Different colors don't count.  I'm thinking about how many
new elements went into the Insectoids, Throwbots, UFO's,themes that will
die quickly.  Would it hurt to create a few new elements each year for a
theme that has been wildly successful for 8 YEARS!  It's as if they are
actually *trying* to kill the theme, by not producing anything unique
and releasing abysmal sets.

Someone tell me I'm way off base, and tell me how TLG could possibly
sabotage the train theme *more* than what they are currently doing.

<rant off>-John