 Trains / 12885
Re: Question for the true train enthusiasts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 02:11:29 GMT

Josh Baakko wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Josh Baakko wrote:

a space of 3's good for modern US rolling stock, with the 5 springs (3 on
outside).
Josh

Nope.  A wheel is 3 studs wide; if you check the measurements on a typical US
truck, you will find that the space between the wheels is less than a wheel width
wide.  And there are 2 springs visible from the side, which can be simulated with a
stack of 1x1 rounds...

-John

100 ton trucks are the same width between as the wheels are.  and there are
3 visible.  the ones with 2 springs visible are 70 ton trucks.
;-) can't fool me,
Josh

Ah, well, I guess I was referring to older, lighter trucks, which probably comprise
95+% of trucks made over the years.  But here is something to think about, Josh.  Even
if a 100 ton truck does measure out to be 3 studs between the wheels, what you have
done is to recreate those dimensions as in the prototype.  But would you also reproduce
the other dimensions faithfully as well (without compression)?  Some of those cars
would be over 100 studs long.

My point is that even if you are modeling newer cars with 100 ton trucks (and
especially if you are modeling 6 wide), you most certainly already *are* compressing
the car in other places, and so it might look better proportionally if you compressed
to a 2 stud gap as well.

To Justin:

As you can see, there is no "correct" answer to your question.  It is up to you as the
modeler how/when/if you will compress the proportions of your creations.  Look at
prototypes and try to get a "feel" for its dimensions and have at it.

BTW, here is a pic of a bettendorf truck from my 14 wide section on Brickshelf,
probably the most common type in the US:

HTH,
John