 Trains / 12879
Re: Question for the true train enthusiasts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 03:55:11 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Josh Baakko wrote:

a space of 3's good for modern US rolling stock, with the 5 springs (3 on
outside).
Josh

Nope.  A wheel is 3 studs wide; if you check the measurements on a typical US
truck, you will find that the space between the wheels is less than a wheel width
wide.  And there are 2 springs visible from the side, which can be simulated with a
stack of 1x1 rounds...

-John

I pretty much use John's spacing scheme. At first I thought I would do
everything three studs between wheelsets, but later I decided to make the
wheelsets on my rolling stock two studs apart; it gives a little more space
between the trucks and makes the models look a bit better. The spacing of the
wheelsets on my engines is 3 studs to match the spacing between the wheelsets on
the motor. I have to agree with Josh's counting though; the last time I looked I
could swear I saw 3 columns of springs (the middle one was recessed slightly).

Chris
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/