 Trains / 11560
Re: 8-wides coming around soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 03:49:40 GMT

Josh Baakko wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Josh Baakko wrote:

I'm starting work on some 8-wides now, but I've built a few 6 wide
containers.  I'm interested how other people build containers for 8-wides?
For all of my trains I've decided to count 1 stud as 2 feet to make train
cars shorter (only used on trains). That way an SD90MAC, which is 109' would
be rounded down to 108, and divided by 2 to make 54 it studs long.  So my
first container is 6x10 to make it a 20' container, but to match my
semitrailers (at 5 blocks tall they look very strange.  So i went with 4 now
they look short, so i'm going for 1 or 2 plates in there.  Has anyone else
built a 6 wide container, or does eveyone still use 4 wide containers?

(wow, thats long...)
Josh

snip all my previous comments

But anyways, if i build a 50 foot boxcar I'll go with a longer mesurement.
My major problem is the containers & the huge cars 7 locos (SD90MAC & 89'
auto haulers).  I'd like to build the containers the same size, or close to
the same size as you said above.  But that would cause the container cars to
be accesively large, and look dumb next to an SD90MAC, the car would end up
being about 50 studs.

Josh

  Yeah, those long cars are going to be a problem. I want to build an
autorack,[1] and like you said, they are 89'. By my scale that would be 71 studs
(gulp).I'll have to scale that down a bit (understatement).
  I think you can go longer than 54 studs for you SD90MAC. My SD40-2 is 59
studs, and since the pivot points are actually only 28 studs apart it has no
problems negotiating curves. I know, a 59 stud engine on trucks centered 28
studs apart seems wrong, but the pivot points on my 6 wheel trucks are way off
center and it works out OK.

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/NOLTC/tech/pivoting_truck/steerable_wheelset.htm

  In my experience, when I hit 40 studs between pivot points I start running
into clearance issues (difficulties clearing the yellow switches on the switch
tracks). So, that sets the distance between the pivot points. But when a
pivoting truck is used to simulate an SD truck you gain some extra length on the
engine. I am guessing that my maximum working SD engine length would be about 75
studs. I am not saying that it won't look silly, or even that it will work. I am
just saying that if I combined the dimensions from my longest simple truck model
with my pivoting trucks that it looks like 75 studs is an upper limit.

  So, I guess my suggestion is to make your SD90MAC as long as you can, and
choose a length for your 50' rolling stock (that seems like as good a length as
any to peg as the "most common" short car) and then compress all other cars
relative to those two points. If you want a bit more room to play with, make the
short cars a tad shorted than your original plan. In any event, a 75 foot car
would be about half way between your SD90MAC and your 50 ft box car. A 90 foot
car would be 80% of the way between the two cars. I guess this is the way I do
it, but I never really thought about it.

  By the way, my two double stack container cars are 44 studs long[2] (not
counting the trucks because the trucks extend past the end of the container
cars), and they don't look bad behind my 59 stud long SD40-2. (IMO) when I built
the container cars I had no idea how long they were supposed to be (still don't
know). I just built them around my containers, and included a little extra porch
area, because that is what I thought they looked like (I sat and watched a bunch
of them go by while waiting to get into day care the other day/month).

  Anyway, good luck with the SD90MAC. I am looking forward to seeing what that
monster is going to look like.

Chris
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/

1. I haven't even started collecting parts...lots of gray 1x6 plates will be
needed, not to mention yellow plates.

2. Sorry, I don't have pictures of those cars yet. They are nothing wildly
spectacular, but they are a nice looking set of two well type (no raised walls
on the ends) double stack container carriers. They bring my freight train to a
total of...get this...a whopping....9!!! cars including engine.