 Trains / 11533
Re: 8-wides coming around soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 02:44:18 GMT

Josh Baakko wrote:

I'm starting work on some 8-wides now, but I've built a few 6 wide
containers.  I'm interested how other people build containers for 8-wides?
For all of my trains I've decided to count 1 stud as 2 feet to make train
cars shorter (only used on trains). That way an SD90MAC, which is 109' would
be rounded down to 108, and divided by 2 to make 54 it studs long.  So my
first container is 6x10 to make it a 20' container, but to match my
semitrailers (at 5 blocks tall they look very strange.  So i went with 4 now
they look short, so i'm going for 1 or 2 plates in there.  Has anyone else
built a 6 wide container, or does eveyone still use 4 wide containers?

(wow, thats long...)
Josh

  My containers are pretty big. The 40' long containers are 32 studs long (1
stud = 1.25 ft), 6 studs wide, and 5 bricks and 2 plates tall. I make my
containers a little shorter than my truck trailers. My 40' truck trailer is 32
studs long, 6 studs wide, and 6 bricks and 2 plates tall. I have notice (or at
least I think I have noticed) that containers are shorter(height) than truck
trailers; that is why I made my truck trailer 6 bricks 2 plates tall. I wanted a
minifig to be able to stand inside a container, so my minimum height for a
container was 5 bricks 2 plates tall.

  I think you need to be flexible in your scaling(compression). I say I build at
1 stud = 1.25 feet, but I use that as a guideline, not as a rule. For my rolling
stock, I try to keep close to the scale so that everything looks right together,
but for my engines I'll fudge the scale to work details in what looks like the
right places. For me, that meant going longer on my SD40-2 than my scale says it
should be. Violating my own scaling, my 67' long SD40-2 is 59 studs long.[1] You
are probably going to have to compress your SD90MAC, and that makes sense. By my
scale it would be 87 studs long. That would just be too big. Whether or not 1
stud = 2 feet is too extreme is up to you, but for a 50' long box car, 1 stud =
2 feet will look strange (in my opinion) because it will be the same length as
many of its 6-wide cousins.

  One of the best things about building 8-wide is the size of the models. When
an 8-wide model is done, it is big, and it makes a big impression. That is why I
kept building 8-wide after my first try. This is also the down side of building
8-wide. Because the models are big, it is harder (for me) to get the "long train
on a long straight away" feel.

Chris

1. They are 67' long...right?
--