 Trains / 10331
  Re: How the heck do I find out what model that engine I see going by is?

This'll be long: EMD, has an angled cab roof, and a 6 axle EMD is a SD, and a 4 axle EMD is a GP. GE, has a rounded cab roof (with the exception of the Dash 9, AC4400, and AC6000, i'll explain them later), a 6 axle is a C, and 4 is a B. EMD has (...) (24 years ago, 15-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How the heck do I find out what model that engine I see going by is?

And for more... My Favorite train site: (URL) off, the EMD SD's and other 6 axles... SD7, high nose: (URL) curved roof, curved fuel tank, little Dynamic Brake housing (angled vent half way along the long hood). SD9: (URL) Curved roof, curved tank, (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How the heck do I find out what model that engine I see going by is?

(...) Nope. The -2 means that the electrics/electronics (the control gear) is based on circuit boards, that are individually replaceable and more reliable than the older control gear. Most dash 2 models were new builds, rather than rebuilds. (...) (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How the heck do I find out what model that engine I see going by is?

(...) <snip> (...) Thanks for the info, Josh! I'll confess that I haven't done more than skim it, I got lost after the first couple acronyms. :) I've bookmarked it though, so I'll certainly come back to it when I'm feeling less intimidated. The link (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)